Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thai Chicken Pasta (or rice)

This dish seems a little complicated because it has a lot of ingredients but you dump them in all at once and I usually have all of them on hand, except for the half-and-half...and please don't try to use whole milk and cornstarch instead, it does not work!

Everyone in my family loves this and, even though it seems special, it takes hardly any time to make.

Ingredients:

1 pound any kind of noodle (or you can serve over rice)
enough chicken to feed your family, shredded/cubed/or however

Sauce:
1/2 C chicken broth
1 T minced ginger root OR 1/2 t ground ginger
3 T soy sauce
4 T peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
3 T honey
1-2 t hot chili paste**
3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 C half-and-half

Cook pasta until al dente or rice according to package. Drain. Meanwhile, in medium saucepan combine all sauce ingredients. Cook and whisk over medium heat until mixture is fully incorporated and heated through. Add noodles and chicken, toss to coat. I top mine with chives if I have them and chopped peanuts "for a nice crunch!" (little food network reference there)

**In the ethnic foods/Indian section of the grocery store I found a jar of Patak's Original Vindaloo Curry Paste "hot" It says to use within six months of opening but I didn't read that until just now and I've been keeping mine in the fridge and using it for at least a year now with no problems :)

4 comments:

  1. You can definitely eyeball the sauce ingredients on this one, they do not have to be exact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this last night. The flavors were amazing and we all loved it. I served it with linguini that I had broken into 2 inch pieces. I think that I let the sauce simmer for too long or perhaps let it sit out too long before eating it because it ended up being a bit thick and sticky- still delicious though. Maybe simmering it for less time or retaining a bit of the pasta water to thin it out would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in Mexico I guess they don't have half-and-half so Luz brought me home sour cream and it worked great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great discovery Joy :) I always have sour cream and hate to buy half-and-half just for a recipe. I made it for dinner last night since I read your comment right before I went to the grocery store . . . no noticeably difference at all.

    ReplyDelete