Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Zucchini Soup

Okay, so I admit that I am my mother's child and I could eat soup 5 or 6 nights a week and never tire of it. This recipe is great for those cooler summer nights and a great way to use up those 10lb zucchini that hide in your vegetable garden. The original recipe is Karen Bishop's, but since I'm my mother's child, I have made a few changes/adaptations. My additions will be in (parenthesis).

Zucchini Soup
-a small batch, but you get the idea for ratios-

1.5 c zucchini, chopped
1.5 c chicken broth
(1onion, or some leeks, chopped)
dash nutmeg
2T butter
2T flour
1 c milk

(slightly saute onion and zucchini in soup pot)
Cook zucchini in chicken broth until soft
Add a dash of nutmeg
Slightly cool then blend until smooth with immersion blender or in small batches in your regular blender.
Pour into large bowl, set aside

In same pot melt butter. Whisk in flour until thick. Slowly add milk, whisking until it's all incorporated and not lumpy. Add zucchini mixture back into pot and stir together with milk mixture. Heat thoroughly, add salt & pepper to taste.

I serve this with homemade croutons and sometimes some shredded cheese. It would also be great with grilled cheese sandwiches or chicken salad sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment